1. Evaluates for various fungal toxins, including specific markers for candida. Many people rely on stool testing for candida diagnosis and miss the presence of candida toxins through the Organic Acid Test. Candida can create problems with brain function including mental fog and memory problems, along with bloating, gas and other digestive complaints, as well as chemical sensitivity, muscle aches and pains and more.
2. Evaluates for two specific toxins related to clostridia bacteria – HPHPA and 4-cresol. Both of these toxins can inhibit a dopamine converting enzyme leading to excess dopamine and toxic reactions in the brain and nervous system. Sleep problems, mood instability and other cognitive changes can occur with clostridia bacteria. Also, increased joint and muscle inflammation can be triggered by these toxins too.
3. The information from the Organic Acid Test helps to prioritize treatment intervention instead of just assuming everything is a candida problem. Treating for candida when clostridia bacteria are present can lead to problems, i.e. worsening of symptoms overall.
4. Evaluates for high oxalates (oxalic acid). Oxalates are compounds found in many foods, and can be worsened from candida overgrowth. High oxalates are associated with pain in the joints, muscles, and connective tissues. They can also trap heavy metals (such as mercury, lead, and arsenic) in the body, and lead to mineral imbalances as well.
5. Evaluates for mitochondrial imbalances. The mitochondria are the energy factories of our cells. Often they are stressed because of toxins from yeast, bacteria, metals, and even oxalates. Mitochondrial dysfunction is seen in many disorders such as Chronic Fatigue and adrenal exhaustion.
6. Evaluates for imbalances in Dopamine (HVA) and Norepinephrine (VMA). The balance between these two important brain chemicals is critical for attention, focusing, mood, calmness and other functions of the nervous system.
7. Evaluates for imbalances in serotonin (an important brain chemical for mood, fine and gross motor skills, and calmness), as well additional markers that can indicate toxic stress in the brain and nervous system such as Quinolinic Acid. High Quinolinic Acid is suggestive of toxic stress in the brain and is important to evaluate before implementing certain supplements particularly L-Tryptophan which is commonly used to help with sleep.
8. Evaluates for two specific chemicals related to folate metabolism. Folate is part of the methylation cycle that supports the inner workings of the cells related to DNA function.
9. Evaluates for various nutritional markers such as vitamin B6, B5, vitamin C, CoQ10, as well as N-Acetyl-Cysteine which is necessary for the production of glutathione.
10. Evaluates for glutathione production problems. Glutathione is the most powerful antioxidant in our cells and is often deficient in autism. The Organic Acid Test evaluates for cellular markers related to this important antioxidant.
The Organic Acid Test (OAT) is available for purchase through www.labtestsplus.com. With each lab result there is a personalized written interpretation by Dr. Kurt Woeller and Dr. Tracy Tranchitella based on the specific markers from the OAT. The written program includes action step recommendations such as therapy options, supplement recommendations, and other important information to use for the improvements in health.
To learn more about ordering the Organic Acid Test and/or additional integrative medicine tests available please visit LabTestsPlus.com.